KUWTT: “Give workers a second reminder” | June 23, 2022

Have a good day. Here are the top stories from the Manila Times for Thursday, June 23, 2022.

READ: “Give workers a second reminder”

Presidential Entrepreneurship Advisor Jose Maria “Joey” Concepcion 3rd Wednesday urged the government to approve second booster shots for employees “who are now keeping our economy afloat.” The founder of Go Negosyo has appealed following the decision of the Health Technology Assessment Board (HTAC) to allow the recommendation of Covid-19 boosters for immunocompromised minors aged 12-17. Concepcion said vaccinations have a high acceptance rate among employees and the private sector already has its own supply of vaccines. Additionally, he said the majority have already taken their first boosters and may already need second boosters. Allowing second boosters for this segment will bring many benefits, Concepcion said.

READ: Immunocompromised teens get booster shots

Get the latest news


delivered to your inbox

Sign up for the Manila Times daily newsletters

By registering with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and accept the terms of use and the privacy policy.

The Philippines has started administering the Covid-19 vaccine booster to immunocompromised adolescents aged 12 to 17. Group members are eligible to receive their first booster 28 days after receiving their primary doses. The government kicked off the campaign as 32 more cases of BA.5 Omicron subvariants were reported in the country on Wednesday, the highest number of subvariant detections in any sequencing round. The Western Visayas region recorded 21 cases of BA.5 while four were detected in the National Capital Region and Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon). Central Luzon has recorded three cases. Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said nine of the 21 cases in Western Visayas were detected in a cluster of workplaces and three in a cluster of households. All but two cases were fully vaccinated, one was partially vaccinated while the last was unverified. A total of 22 had mild symptoms, five were asymptomatic and five have not yet been checked for disease manifestation. Vergeire said that although there is a sustained increase in the number of infections, the number of serious and critical cases remains stable and will not result in more hospitalizations.

READ: Afghanistan earthquake kills 1,000

A powerful earthquake struck a rural and mountainous region of eastern Afghanistan early Wednesday, killing 1,000 people and injuring 1,500 others in one of the deadliest tremors in decades, the report reported. official news agency. Officials have warned that the already grim toll could rise further. Information remained sparse about the 6.1 magnitude earthquake near the Pakistani border, but earthquakes of this strength can cause severe damage in an area where homes and other buildings are poorly constructed and landslides of land are frequent. Experts put the depth at just 10 kilometers (6 miles) – another factor that could lead to serious destruction. The disaster was a major test for the Taliban-led government, which seized power last year as the United States planned to pull out of the country and end its longest war, two decades after ousted the same insurgents following the September 11 attacks. . The nearby Pakistan Meteorological Service said the quake’s epicenter was in Afghanistan’s Paktika province, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) southwest of the city of Khost. Buildings were also damaged in Khost province and tremors were felt some 375 kilometers (230 miles) away in the Pakistani capital of Islamabad.

READ: TMT Forum tackles manufacturing in PH

Titled “Reorienting Industry to Retool the Economy”, the Manila Times forum today will highlight the growth prospects of the manufacturing sector. Commerce Secretary Ramon Lopez is optimistic that the Philippine manufacturing industry, one of the main engines of the country’s economic growth, would return to its robust pre-pandemic state. Among the speakers at today’s forum are the President of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry, George Barcelon, and the Undersecretary of the Department of Commerce and Industry (DTI), Dr. Rafaelita Aldaba . Moderated by Manila Times editors Conrad Cariño and Dafort Villaseran, the forum will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to noon through the Manila Times Facebook page, as well as its YouTube and Dailymotion channels. In the business

READ: PH budget deficit narrows

The Philippine national government’s budget deficit is expected to shrink this year and next, Fitch Solutions said, which bodes well for debt sustainability. The research firm said in a report on Wednesday that it now expects the Philippines’ budget deficit as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) to be 7.5% in 2022 and 6.2% in 2023, up from 8. .6% in 2021. The Fitch Group unit said the forecast was revised down from its previous estimate of 8.1% in 2022 and 6.7% in 2023 after the memorandum was released. on the national budget (NBM) on June 9, detailing the budget aggregates that are approved by the coordination of the development budget. Commission (DBCC) on May 24. The Philippines will start prioritizing fiscal consolidation in 2022, according to the NBM, with the aim of reducing the fiscal deficit to 4.1% by 2025.

head sports

READ: Tim Cone joins PH team coaching staff

Just like in the good old days, TNT coach Chot Reyes and Ginebra coach Tim Cone will work together to lead the Philippines men’s basketball team in the 2023 World Cup, where the country is co-hosting the event with Japan and Indonesia. Reyes, head coach of the Gilas Pilipinas program, unveiled it after receiving his sixth Coach of the Year award from the PBA Press Corps on Tuesday night. Reyes, who holds a PBA record of six Coach of the Year awards, reached out to his old friend, Cone, the winningest coach in PBA history with 24 championships and the only mentor to win two. Grand Slam tournaments.

READ: Serena makes a winning comeback

Serena Williams made a winning comeback after a year on the sidelines as the USA legend teamed up with Ons Jabeur to beat Sara Sorribes Tormo and Marie Bouzkova 2-6, 6-3, 13-11 in the Eastbourne international doubles Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila). Williams, a 23-time Grand Slam singles champion, was back in action for the first time since her tearful exit from Wimbledon last year. The 40-year-old suffered a leg injury in her Wimbledon first round match against Aliaksandra Sasnovich and has not been seen on court since. Before Williams made the surprise announcement of her comeback last week, retirement rumors had been swirling around her for several months. But, with Wimbledon starting on June 27, Williams finally resumed her career, playing with Jabeur in the Wimbledon warm-up at the Sussex seaside.

READ: Op/Ed

The Times, in its editorial, commends the Asian Development Bank and the Japan International Cooperation Agency for their willingness to take a substantial risk in the Philippines by helping to completely transform the country’s underdeveloped public transport infrastructure. Read the full version in the Opinion section of the paper’s print and digital editions or listen to the voice of the times. The columnists featured on the front page are Antonio Contreras, Yen Makabenta and Danton Remoto. Contreras writes about the real victims of political unrest, citing martial law under the regime of the late Ferdinand Marcos Sr.; Makabenta on between campaign and government; and Danton Remoto on Jal Laylo, the Filipino who was shot by a gunman in Philadelphia on June 20, and who was his friend and colleague.

For more news and information, get a copy of The Manila Times on paper, subscribe to his digital edition or log on to www.manilatimes.net. follow us on Twitter, Facebook Where instagram and Track times.

This is the report by Christian Crow Maghanoy.

Comments are closed.