KUWTT: BBM vetoes tax and transport bills | July 31, 2022

Have a good day. Here are the articles from the Manila Times for Sunday, July 31, 2022.

BBM vetoes tax and freight bills

PRESIDENT Ferdinand Marcos Jr. vetoed two other bills, including a measure to grant tax exemptions for fees, allowances and other benefits for workers rendering service during the election period, Malacañang said on Saturday. Press secretary Rose Beatrix “Trixie” Cruz-Angeles said the president made his decision known through two separate letters to the Senate and the House of Representatives. In his letter, the President told Congress that House Bill 9652 or Senate Bill 2520 known as “An Act to Exempt From Income Tax Fees, Allowances, and Other Financial Benefits people rendering service during an election period defeats the government’s purpose Comprehensive tax reform program to correct the inequity of the country’s tax system and undo the progressivity of the reforms introduced under the law of the Republic 10963 or the Train Act.” Additionally, Marcos noted that studies from relevant government agencies on revenue loss are too big an impact to ignore. public school teachers served as election board members and while some served as supervising election officials. Less than a month in office, Marcos has already vetoed five bills that have been ratified by both houses of Congress. Apart from the two measures, the President had also vetoed bills on the establishment of the Bulacan Airport City Special Economic Zone and Freeport, the expansion of the Davao Light and Power Company Inc. Franchise Zone and strengthening the Office of the Government Legal Adviser. As head of the executive branch of government, the President of the Philippines is granted by the 1987 Constitution the power to veto measures he opposes.

DoLE will provide jobs for earthquake survivors

THE Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) has released an initial amount of 50 million pesos to provide emergency jobs to people displaced by the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that struck Abra Province Wednesday. Labor Secretary Bienvenido Laguesma said the DoLE will deploy the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (Tupad), which is an emergency employment program aimed at mitigating the negative economic effects of natural disasters like the earthquakes. land and health emergencies, among others. Region 1 (Ilocos) and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) were the most affected by the earthquake. Laguesma said the DoLE is also considering providing jobs to quake survivors who have lost their jobs through the Office of Public Employment Services. The latest report from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) says the death toll from the July 27 earthquake is now 10 while 62,024 families or 228,238 people from 639 villages in three regions have been moved. NDRRMC spokesman Mark Timbal said the four people previously missing had already been found dead, bringing the death toll to 10. Some 320 people were injured and received medical treatment, the NDRMMC added. . A total of 48 cities and towns experienced power outages, of which 46 regained their power supply. Four towns and municipalities experienced an interruption in water supply, but supplies were quickly restored in all three but one. The state of calamity has been declared in 27 cities and municipalities in the affected regions.

Get the latest news


delivered to your inbox

Sign up for the Manila Times daily newsletters

By registering with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and accept the terms of use and the privacy policy.

Blinken visits PH amid tension over WPS

Amid growing concerns over the Western Philippine Sea (WPS), US Secretary of State Antony Blinken will travel to Manila for a one-day visit in August, the US Embassy and State Department said in separate press releases. Blinken’s visit comes about a month after Assistant Secretary of State Wendy Sherman arrived in the country in June. The U.S. Embassy in Manila said Friday that Blinken will visit the country on Aug. 6 to meet with President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo to discuss bilateral efforts to ” strengthen the U.S.-Philippine alliance, including through energy, trade and investment cooperation, promotion of our shared democratic values, and pandemic recovery.” Blinken’s visit will be the first for a US Secretary of State since his predecessor Mike Pompeo came to Manila in March 2019. Although talking points between Blinken and Marcos have yet to be disclosed, the two are expected to address the dispute in the South. China Sea, which has caused tensions between Washington and Beijing and between requesting countries, including the Philippines. The Philippines claims parts of the South China Sea in its exclusive economic zone and calls it the WPS.

Concepcion: avoid vax waste with the Covid roadmap

GO Negosyo founder Jose Maria “Joey” Concepcion 3rd said the waste of billions of pesos worth of vaccines this month could have been easily avoided if the Philippines had a clear roadmap to deal with the coronavirus pandemic. Covid-19. The vaccines expired days after the Department of Health (DoH) authorized a second booster for adults 50 and older and those 18 to 49 with comorbidities. Concepcion warned in April that a batch of vaccines was set to expire in July. As of June 26, there were 29,795,970 doses stored in the national cold chain facility, more than four million due to expire by July 31. Concepcion said the DoH, having the relevant data, could have guided the Health Technology Assessment Board (HTAC) on the expiration of the vaccines.

Vape advocates vow to challenge new law

Vaping Advocates Pledge to Challenge Vaping Law HEALTH advocates who oppose the new law to regulate vaporized nicotine- and nicotine-free devices or the Vaping Law have Committed to fighting its passage, noting that the law will have detrimental implications for weakening e-cigarette device regulations. The measure, which took effect July 25, will transfer regulation of vaporized nicotine products or “vapes” and e-cigarettes from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to the Department of Commerce and Industry (DTI). ). It will also lower the age of access to these products from 21 to 18, which health experts say would increase vaping use among young people.

Basilan border security tightened

The Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief, General Vicente Danao Jr., on Saturday ordered heightened security measures in the town of Lamitan, Basilan, to arrest the killers of Dr. Chiao Tiao Yumol’s father. Yumol shot and killed a former mayor and two others on the Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU) campus in Quezon City on July 24. border security to prevent the possible escape of armed men. Yumol’s father, Rolando Yumol, was shot dead just outside his residence, also in Lamitan, early Friday morning. Bgen. PNP director of public information Roderick Alba said it would be speculative to assume his direct relationship to the shooting incident that took place on the AdMU campus involving young Yumol. Reports say the incident happened at 6:30 a.m. when gunmen on a motorbike opened fire on the elder Yumol. Danao said PNP personnel have already been deployed at checkpoints to monitor suspicious people trying to cross. The PNP leader said it was vital to arrest the perpetrators to further the investigation, as there were many hypotheses linking the incident to the July 24 shootings on the AdMU campus.

SSS set to release calamity assistance

On to business, the Social Security System (SSS) has announced that it is ready to grant a disaster assistance program to members and retirees in areas to be declared by the National Board of Reduction and Management disaster risk as being in a state of calamity. SSS President and CEO Michael Regino said the disaster assistance program will include the Calamity Loan Assistance Program (CLAP) and the three-month early pension for retirees. . This is in light of the recent strong earthquake that hit the Abra provinces and surrounding areas last Wednesday.

4 teams contest the last semi-finals

Top sports on Sunday will be a pair of knockout matches on the last play date of the PBA Philippine Cup quarter-finals as bitter rivals Barangay Ginebra and Meralco face off in the main game at 6:30 p.m. just after 4:30 p.m. battle between NLEX and Magnolia Timplados at the Mall of Asia Arena. The Gin Kings and Road Warriors were able to avoid elimination and extend their respective best-of-three sudden-death streaks after hard-earned victories on Friday. Barangay Ginebra had to fend for himself and used his league experience against his favorite victim to claim a 94-87 victory. n exclusive interview. NLEX avoided a late Magnolia rally to preserve a 90-77 triumph in a game where Kevin Alas had an outstanding performance.

Opinion and Editorial

Marlen Ronquillo is today’s front-page columnist, as he explains what the Philippines can learn from the situation in Sri Lanka.

Today’s editorial argues that helping micro, small and medium enterprises requires better execution of government policies. Read a full version in the opinion section of the newspaper or listen to the voice of the times.

For more news and information, get a copy of The Manila Times in print, subscribe to its digital edition or log on to www.manilatimes.net. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and follow the news.

For The Manila TimesThis is Paulo Dimaapi.

Comments are closed.